You should be aware that the handling of personal information by third parties will be subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and participation in a loyalty program or other promotional offers may be subject to additional terms and conditions. You should familiarise yourself with those policies and terms and conditions before providing personal information or agreeing to participate in a loyalty program or other offers.
Types of personal information collected
The types of personal information that we collect and hold will vary depending on your dealings with us. This information may include any or all of the following:
- name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details;
- electronic address(es);
- transaction details relating to your use or purchase of our products, services or benefits;
- if you are a member of a loyalty program in which we participate:
o your membership details (e.g. member number) for that loyalty program; and
o details relating to your use or acquisition of products, services or benefits from organisations that operate, administer or provide products and/or services in connection with that loyalty program;
- payment information (such as credit card or bank details);
- if applicable, employment information; and
- any other personal information which you provide to us.
We will not collect sensitive information from you or any third party.
You do not have to provide us with any personal information. However, if you do not do so, we may not be able to provide you with products, services or benefits you have requested.
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, such as:
- when you submit information through our Website, e.g. when you subscribe to receive our online newsletters;
- in person or on a form that you provide to us;
- in the course of us providing you with a requested product, service or benefit;
- when you contact us via telephone or facsimile;
- from correspondence (whether in writing or electronically);
- when you interact with our social media accounts;
- when you subscribe to receive our marketing materials;
- while conducting customer satisfaction and market research surveys;
- when you participate in the promotions we conduct;
- when you apply for a job with us;
- when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect personal information about you indirectly, for example through:
- transactions that you enter into in store;
- providers who support transactions that you make in store, including credit card providers and point of sale systems providers;
- providers who support our marketing activities;
- organisations that operate, administer or provide products and/or services in connection with any loyalty program in which you and we participate;
- our related bodies corporate;
- our business partners;
- third parties who supply services to us, e.g. point-of-sale terminal vendors who report transaction data to us.
Consequences if you do not provide personal information
If you do not provide your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with products, services or benefits you have requested. For example, if you do not provide us with personal information requested in connection with your registration for a loyalty program, we and organisations operating and administering that program may not be able to provide you with program benefits and/or administer your membership.
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide the products, services or benefits you have requested from us;
- to manage and administer those products, services and benefits, including account keeping procedures;
- to communicate with you, including (but not limited to), emailing you tax invoices, dispatch and tracking information, returns and exchange authorisations;
- if you are a member of a loyalty program in which we participate, to enable: o you to participate in the program, and enjoy program benefits;
o us to better understand and gain insights into store and campaign performance, shopper trends and to plan future developments, member offers and campaigns; and
o organisations that operate or administer that loyalty program to perform their functions in relation to that program, including to undertake analysis on retailer performance and trends, and to provide aggregated, anonymous statistics on these matters to other program participants;
- to answer any inquiry you make;
- to undertake recruitment processes;
- to otherwise enable us to perform our business activities and functions; and
- for any other purpose you consent to.
We may disclose your personal information to organisations that participate in, operate or administer any loyalty program in which you and we participate. We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties such as:
- our couriers and delivery contractors;
- organisations that provide us with technical and support services;
- regulatory authorities;
- potential acquirers of the whole or part of our business or assets; and
- our consultants and professional advisers.
If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
We may also use and disclose your personal information to send direct marketing to you, including electronic direct marketing, from:
- our related bodies corporates and Metcash Trading Limited;
- the operator or administrator of a loyalty program in which you and we participate; and
- third parties who provide services to us or the operator or administrator of a loyalty program in which you and we participate.
The direct marketing may relate to:
- your membership of, and benefits associated with, loyalty programs in which you and we participate;
- our products and services;
- the products and services of other parties; and
- new developments we believe may be of interest to you.
You may opt-out of receiving this direct marketing through the unsubscribe function that will be made available to you with each direct marketing communication. You should be aware that if you opt out, you may not be able to receive benefits you would otherwise receive e.g. if you opt out of loyalty program emails, you may not be able to receive all the benefits of participating in that loyalty program.
How we store and protect personal information
We store personal information in a combination of computer storage facilities, paper-based files and other records. We maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security for our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of personal information. This also applies to disposal of personal information.
We further protect personal information by restricting access to personal information to only those who need access to the personal information do their job. Physical, electronic and managerial procedures have been employed to safeguard the security and integrity of your personal information.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
Do we send personal information overseas?
From time to time we may engage an overseas entity to provide services to us, such as cloud-based storage solutions. Please note that the use of overseas service providers to store personal information will not always involve a disclosure of personal information to that overseas provider. By providing your personal information to us, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to any such overseas recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business, and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity will not be bound by, and you will not be able seek redress under, the Act.
How you can request to access or correct your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, hold, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number, or you realise details we hold about you are incorrect:
- you can contact us to let us know using the details provided under the heading “How to contact us or make a complaint” below, though we are not obliged to correct any of your personal information if we do not agree that it requires correction and we may refuse to do so. If we refuse a correction request, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for refusing.
At your request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you. On the rare occasions when we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for refusing access. We may charge a reasonable fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee and obtain your agreement to that fee before providing the information.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable time.
Information is also generated whenever a page is accessed on our website that records information such as the time, date and specific page. We collect such information for statistical and maintenance purposes that enables us to continually evaluate our website performance.
How to contact us or make a complaint
Shop 1, 541A Burwood Rd, Belmore NSW.
Telephone: 02 8705 0880
Email: [email protected]
We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If our response to your complaint does not address your concerns to your satisfaction, you may have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Email: [email protected]
Last updated July 2021